Dukes is situated on the corner of Great Pulteney Street and Edward Street and comprises of two magnificent Georgian townhouses. There are 17 bedrooms situated over 4 floors consisting of 5 standard, 6 superior and 4 deluxe double rooms (5 of which can be twinned) and 2 four poster rooms.
The houses were built in 1798 and are Grade I listed. Owing to their age and listed restrictions, there are some features which might make access difficult for people with limited mobility.
We are a mere 5 minute flat walk into the centre of Bath with its main attractions of the Roman Baths and Bath Abbey.
Our emphasis is on providing a high standard of service and unforced hospitality towards all guests and to make them feel at home in this wonderful property.
Dukes is not open to non-residents.
We do accept well behaved dogs providing the room available is suitable for pets.
We look forward to welcoming you to Dukes.
- You can contact Dukes by phone, fax, e-mail or in person. There is someone on site 24 hours although response to e-mails and faxes may be reduced from 11pm to 7am when our reception is closed.
- For full details and maps on how to reach us please see the Location and Contact section of our website.
- There is a company who specialises in airport transfers and tailor made tours. Please see contact information below.
- Our team is here to assist you with your enquiries and will endeavor to answer all reasonable requests.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- All guests should use the main entrance on Edward Street. There are 5 steps and the ground is paved.
- The main entrance door is on Edward Street and opens inwards. There is then an internal lobby door which opens outwards towards Edward street.
- The Reception area is situated on your left as you enter the front door.
- A car parking permit is available to collect which will allow you to park in one of the 650 plus residents zone 1 parking bays which surround Dukes. Reception staff can help with the location of car parking spaces and guide you to a suitable space.
- For many years the benefit of introducing a lift has been discussed and considered, unfortunately our Grade 1 listing is now rather restrictive. We will not hesitate to help carry your luggage, however we welcome your patience and consideration.
Main Entrance & Reception
- There are no steps in the main lobby.
- The reception is located to your left as you enter.
- The front desk is located slightly to the left of the reception area.
- There is a seating area in the reception lounge where guests are invited to sit.
- Registration can be completed whilst sitting at the reception desk or whilst sitting in the reception area.
- The registration form can be enlarged if required.
- The lounge is well lit – a combination of natural light from 3 windows and overhead lighting and table lamps
- There is no lift in Dukes.
- There are two ground floor bedrooms.
- The breakfast room and bar are located on the lower ground floor down one flight of stairs from the reception.
- Guests are shown all stair cases, the location of the breakfast room and bar on arrival to familiarise themselves with the building layout.
- A telephone for local calls and guest computer are located in the reception area.
- A variety of local tourist information pamphlets are available for guests both in the rooms and at in reception.
Public Areas – Hall, Stairs, Landings, Corridors
- All public areas, hall, stairs and landings are well lit using a combination of ceiling and table lamps
- The areas are all carpeted.
- Dukes bedrooms are accessed by the 2 main staircases each consisting of 6 flights (2 flights per floor) – one by the reception lounge – the ‘front stairs’ and the other past reception through the 2 fire doors and up to the left – the back stairs’.
- The property is fully centrally heated throughout. Each radiator has an adjustable thermostatic control to enable local control. There is in addition an open fire in the reception lounge and a gas fire in the bar.
Public Areas - WC
- The ladies toilets for general use by resident guests, are situated down the stairs from reception and straight in front of the breakfast room/bar lobby door at the bottom of the stairs.
- The men’s toilet for general use by resident guests, is located on the ground floor, past the front stairs along the corridor, through the 2 fire doors towards the back stairs, turn left and down 3 steps.
Breakfast room and Bar
- The breakfast room is situated on the lower ground floor to the left after you go through the door at the bottom of the stairs.
- Breakfast consists of a buffet table for our continental selection and table service for our cooked offerings, tea, coffee and toast. We will assist in serving a continental selection to the table on request.
- The flooring is short pile carpet.
- Menus are available on all tables and the team will assist with the menu if needed.
- Lighting is a mixture of natural daylight and low level spot and wall lighting. Lighting can be increased if required.
- We are able to cater for varying dietary needs including gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian and vegan. Whilst not essential it does help if guests can advise us of any specific requirements on booking.
- The nearest toilets to the breakfast room/bar are the ones described above.
- The bar is situated on the lower ground floor to the right after you go through the door at the bottom of the stairs. It is an open plan bar area with wooden flooring. There is a rug in the centre of the room.
- Table service is offered in the bar. Drinks can also be served in the reception lounge.
- There are a selection of tables and chairs of varying heights in the bar.
- Lighting is mainly natural daylight (from large windows overlooking the ornate walled garden during the day). At night the bar is lit with low/medium level lighting. This can be increased on request.
- We have two ground floor bedrooms. One of which has been modified for guests with mobility problems. This room has: -
Level entry walk in shower
Grab rails around shower vertical and horizontal and a pull down seat.
- All rooms have: -
Storage and wardrobe space
Flooring in bedroom short pile carpet
Flooring in bathroom non slip laminate
Emergency procedures clearly displayed and in different languages
Freeview television with integrated digital Teletext and remote control.
Tea and coffee making facilities
Bottled water (still and sparkling)
- Lighting levels are controllable and reading lamps are provided.
- Bedding is all non feather (feather pillows available on request)
- Additional blankets are provided in the rooms
- Bowls for dog food or water can be provided.
- All rooms are non smoking.
- Twin or Double combinations available
- Telephones for room to room calls or to reception and for emergency 999 calls
Bathroom, Shower-room & WC [En-suite or Shared]
- All bedrooms have en-suite bathroom facilities.
- Most standard rooms have shower only.
- Superior, deluxe and four poster rooms have shower and bath facilities.
- Non slip bath mats are provided for use in the bath/shower
- A laundry service and dry cleaning is offered. Bags are available at reception.
- For a same day service bags should be handed in at reception by 9.30.
- There is no service at the weekends.
- There is an ornate walled garden which is accessed via the bar on the lower ground floor down a stone staircase.
- The garden is paved, with iron tables and chairs. Drinks can be served during the good weather and an ashtray can be provided on request.
- Assistance can be provided at any time during your stay by dialing 0 from the room telephone.
- The owners can be contacted on request.
- We have a set evacuation procedure for emergency situations
- Smoke detectors are located in all rooms and throughout Dukes. Should there be a fire alarm bells are a continuous sound.
- If assistance is required someone will come to your room and assist with evacuation either out of the building or to a refuge.
- All housekeeping staff are trained and are aware of procedures to aid privacy in bedrooms.
- There is a good network coverage for mobile phones within the hotel. All networks work.
- There is WIFI available throughout the building however owing to the thickness of the walls the signal strength cannot be guaranteed in all rooms. WIFI is guaranteed in reception.
53 - 54 Great Pulteney Street
(main entrance in Edward Street)
Tel - 01225 787960
Fax - 01225 787961
Email address - firstname.lastname@example.org
Website - www.dukesbath.co.uk
Hours of operation
7am-11pm (Monday to Friday)
In house assistance
Local public transport numbers
First Buses - 01225 466854
Bath Bus co - 01225 330444
Local accessible taxi numbers
Bath Spa Taxis - 01225 313131
Abbey Taxis - 01225 444444
V Cars - 01225 464646
Dukes has an ongoing redecoration and updating plan
We welcome your feedback to help us continuously improve if you have any comments please phone 01225787960 or email email@example.com